From Bob Russell – Principal at Informal Learning Solutions – on the College Readiness panel. Here’s what he had to say regarding Latino youth, social media and Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM).
- More than 50 million Latinos in the U.S.
- By 2040 more than 30% of Americans will be Latino
- We will need a lot more scientist and engineers to stay competitive on a global scale
- Only 8% of Latino undergraduate degrees are in STEM
- Only about 5% of our nation’s STEM workforce is Latino
- Keys to STEM success: great k-12 education, parental support, role models and mentors, peer support, access to info about college & STEM